Wednesday, January 01, 2020

India trip December 2019

Just back from a fantastic and one of our very best vacations - India 2019. Unlike last time, cannot remember a day by day account of the 19 days but shall record a general post for memories sake.

Just before starting, kuttimma won Gold in a badminton county tournament and finished gold level in swimming too. But, despite all the high scholarships, her academic record this term was not good enough for me. She insisted this term she wanted to relax after the huge pressures of last year, so I reluctantly let it go.

The reason this vacation turned out to be one of the best is because of the love  and care that C showered on Raksha and I. C has been a close friend for quite a while now but the selfless love she imparts is very precious to me. She is possibly the same with anybody but for me, who has not had a maternal house to go to since 2008, her home, when I was pregnant, as well as when I visited her this time was more loving, caring and emotionally nourishing than any other home has ever been for me.

She would not let me partake in cooking or cleaning other than the bare minimum, she would cook all of R’s favourite dishes, she would enjoy dressing her up in her own accessories, she would give me her fantastic coffee on waking up and listen to me and counsel me on all my worries. She is only 2 years older than me but I feel so cared for when I spend time with her, even if it is only going shopping with her. She would not allow me to spend unnecessarily and would gently chide R when she is off on one of her impulsive runs.

Her sons K and R are such different personalities, but both so loving and fun. R spent all 19 days completely and absolutely with them, enjoying, fighting, making up and generally having a blast.

The other good thing that happened was that K’s parents came over to Chennai and we visited them at the West*n Marrio*tt. They stayed at the Royal Meri**dien . Their service was rubbish whereas ours was fantastic. The kids and C and I stayed there was 3 days and the kids had a fantastic time  running around and swimming in the hotel pool and enjoying the humungous and scrumptious breakfast. K’s parents had a great time with R and I met them briefly too. C’s  presence helped me manage my minor irritations.

R and C’s kids R and K also visited K’s Chennai home where he grew up and once again had a great time with her grand parents, cousin who was busy with her 12th boards and aunt. I was so glad R met her cousin and had a great time. The grand parents were very loving towards R, were very impressed by her swimming and she loved her silver bracelet and earring from her cousin and maroon beaded gold dollar chain from her grandma.

R also gifted a gold chain to her Grandpa and a pure silk Saree to her grandma. She also gave cash to her cousin for her to spend as she saw fit.

Added to the above, K and I visited the Kalahasti temple , the day we returned from the Andaman. The driver was very professional, ( though car drives in India have gotten to be an absolute night mare and lives seem to escape within a hair’s breadth!) the temple has been fitted with fans and neat roofs, so it was quite cool unlike the burning hot visits I have had there before. We had a reasonably good Dharshan and then we visited K’s periamma. To see her and his nephew and family pamper K made me feel proudand happy. K was very loving to them as well. They spoke to R over the phone on video call and really missed her. However R was with R and K and also, we did not want her on the perilous drive. We had a lovely home cooked meal there and left happy.

We also went shopping in T nagar and after much search found everything we wanted. Kumar*n silks turned out to be the place where we got what we wanted.  It this shopping trip was an experience in itself. We spent some time shopping in Phoen*ix mall as well and that was a totally different kind of experience.

Another good thing that happened was C found a good tailor for me, who converted 3 of my old silk sarees that I was going to throw away , into 3 silk gowns for me and one silk gown for Raksha at a very reasonable rate. Another jackpot of the trip.

I also went with K to Avat*na at ITC Gra*d Ch*la for a fantastic dinner. We had the Bela menu and it was absolutely fantastic. We loved the size and very tamil names and decor of the hotel and the restaurant staff were especially nice. The meal, as promised was an experience in itself and the flavours really subtle but superb. K said the non veg was the best he ever had. As it was our belated anniversary celebration, they also made us a special dessert and asked us to guess the flavours - filter coffee, idly, jaggery and sesame! We could have never guessed! .

Another dinner we had after our T nagar shopping was at Malg*di in Saverr*. The food was not to my taste except for the divine elaneer payasam. But K took me there having already been there the day before for his college friends’ meet and loved the chappala Pulusu. I loved the village decor and the live flute rendition of ilayaraja songs, so all in all a pleasant evening. R as usual was with her friends at C’s place , having a gala time.

C’s top floor flat has a fantastic view of the beach several temples etc and always has a pleasant wind blowing through the house. Also, the play area in the grounds below is small but neat and R had a wonderful time making new friends and playing there. When K and I were in Kalahasthi,   Also took R and the kids to the PC (Pinna*le Cre*st, their apartment block) swimming pool  and the kids greatly enjoyed.

C cooked R’s favourite Aloo paratha, vegetable noodles, chappati and Channa etc and under C’s strict supervision, R had more food than she ever did manage under mine.

One morning, R, K and I as a family also visited a near by 1000 year old Srinivasa perumal temple (Chemman*ery) to give thanks to the year and request guidance to choose the right senior school for R.

While in Marri**ott, C and I and the kids also visited the nanganallur Anjaney**r temple. It was wonderful to pray and simply be there. K could not join us as he had a health check up nearby.

The last day, we met the year 1 college girl that both families were helping educate. We had a good time with the girl and her mum while also sharing some life lessons. We hooked her up with another girl who was smart and ambitious and could guide her. Her mum left happy.

We returned in emirates BC as we both had to work the next day. This time around, it was way way better than last time and we thoroughly enjoyed it. The lounge at Chennai was pleasant and had good Indian fare. The flight was good, food was good and service pleasant enough. But Dubai to L was at another level. The lounge was super cool, the shower facilities fantastic ( as it was new year’s day, we all showered and changed), food range and quality were awesome.

The flight as well was very comfortable, food fantastic and service excellent.

I am afraid in my experience I can see that the more mixed the crew is, the more pleasant the service.

I also bought for myself the most expensive piece of jewellery I have ever worn. It may not be so for the majority of other women but usually I have simple tastes and shy away from even basic jewellery. This time around, for some reason, I indulged myself. Though I don’t see myself wearing it too often, I did love looking at it.

From LH we travelled home..the final drive provided by the airlines was a very good quality car. I had rested very well in my flight home. But still the last 2.30 hours were quite a strain on my legs for some reason.

We reached home and in the next half hour, a very good friend of ours M was at our door as his wife had sent food for the night, next morning, bread, milk and snacks for us. I was gobsmacked. This is another couple that is so giving without any expectations, just because it is their nature to be so thoughtful.

With both C and this couple, I heartily wish the universe fulfils all their wishes as I can honestly and genuinely say my mental health has been better and my heart much more happier because of their actions. C especially has made a great difference to my life just by being so kind and loving. She is not at all emotional and does not even hug easily. But she just briskly does things that are so kind. I am truly blessed .

What I have not mentioned in all of the above is our Andaman trip with its many disasters, a separate post on the same next...

No comments: