Sunday, September 22, 2013

Letters to my daughter - 1

Dear Princess

For reasons that we both know..I would like to record forever the kind of mom I intend(ed) to be..so you will know..no matter what..

1. I love you. Irrespective of whether you play the piano well or swim well or read well or eat without spilling.. I love you just as you are and just as you will be. To know you is to love you and to be your mum is to love you unconditionally.

 I have a part to play in who you are and I will never turn away from that truth. If we are good, we are good together and if we are bad, we are so together.

2. We fight. A lot. You are just 4 years old but you have strong opinions and  clear communication. I encourage you to contradict me when you feel I am in the wrong. This is because I want you to develop a strong character, an individual thought process.

But remember.. we always fight with a view to Understand and be Understood. We never fight to win. Different opinions can co-exist happily. You might believe in something exactly opposite to me but that is not going to stop me from loving you or you me.

We shall never be that insecure in our beliefs.

3. Already you speak about things I do not understand ('One direction!' - At 4 years! I only know they are a band!) but I promise I will not judge you just because you seek things I do not understand. I will try my best to understand them with you and on my own. My values are going to be different to yours..but that does not mean you are bad or I am..it just means that we are different because we belong to different generations.

We shall always celebrate that difference and grow/evolve more because of it.

4.I love(d) every minute of being your mom. Yes, I have made sacrifices but those were conscious choices by me. Those sacrifices were made towards my happiness which at that moment was from yours. So, in all  you owe me - Absolutely Nothing.

I have always striven (with your dad's help) to maintain a balance between my space, my time and my duties to you. Never in my life do I want to hold you accountable for something I have missed out in my life. You have done nothing but enhance my life. Made me a better person. Relaxed me. Taught me to open my heart and love more.

If you want to give me something at all..it is this. Be true to your heart. Be sensible and safe in your life. Demand the best from life. Deserve nothing less.

Most importantly..love your child as unconditionally as or even better than I love you. And tell her to do the same to her/his child.

5. We do get angry with each other. Then we take a break from each other. (Mostly you declare that you are taking a break from me even while continuing to happily sit on my lap and play..) But we always get back. Because I am your mum and you are my daughter and we love each other and that is the final truth. We make it a point to say that we love each other before we take a break.

These breaks are, for now only for a grand total of 5 minutes.

But I know that when you are a teenager you might want longer breaks from me and I from you. We shall give each other that space. But at the end of it we will be eagerly waiting for each other - always. The break is for our anger not for our love. This is a promise and a commitment I learnt from your dad. And  now I pass it on to you.


6. I am always going to be jealous of the love between you and your dad. While I plan and pray and strive and practically stand upside down to let you know that I love you.. he does it so effortlessly. He seems to have communicated all of the above and more..without writing or saying a single word.

But remember - all said and done.. he is a 'boy' and we are the team committed to 'Girl power! ' So all the secrets are just between us!  :)

Love you sunshine!

Shall write more as and when my heart is again so full of love that I can't take it anymore without writing down atleast some of it :)

Amma.

No comments: